Distilled water is actually boiled until it evaporates. The vapor is condensed back into liquid form. The distillation process robs the water of all minerals and impurities. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, carbon dioxide in the air dissolves in distilled water which makes its pH acidic - usually between five and six tenths and seven.
To neutralize distilled water, they suggest adding 1/8 teaspoon baking soda or a drop of ammonia. Some believe that drinking water that has an acidic pH is dangerous to your health.
Drinking distilled water robs your body of its natural source for many minerals essential to good health. This results in mineral loss in the body with increases your risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, hypertension, coronary artery disease and premature aging.
Because distilled water does not contain any fluoride, dentists are beginning to see an increased number of cavities in young children who drink bottled water.
Since distilled water is stripped of all minerals it can cause electrolyte imbalances in your body. Your body will leach electrolytes from your tissues in order to add them to the mineral free water you are drinking. This is necessary so that your body can function normally and eliminate waste.
If the water redistribution process in your body is not functioning properly, you may experience fatigue, weakness, headache, muscle cramps and an abnormal heart rate.