Health Benefits of Poppy Seeds
- Poppy seeds have a natural supply of alkaloids which is extremely beneficial for treating nervous disorders. Besides, due to their naturally easing effect, the alkaloids in poppy seeds make a perfect remedy for curing insomnia.
- Poppy seed oil contains oleic acid which inhibits the activity levels of the gene, known for triggering breast cancer. Increased levels of oleic acid present in the body lower the number of cancer cells in the affected areas.
- With a healthy dose of linoleic acids present, poppy seeds significantly reduce the risk of heart attack and other heart diseases.
- A rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and carbohydrates, poppy seeds help in boosting the immune system and energy levels in the body.
- Excessive calcium deposits are known for creating certain types of kidney stones. Poppy seeds contain oxalates that reduce your calcium intake, thereby preventing the formation of kidney stones.
- The high amount of dietary fiber found in poppy seeds is useful for lowering cholesterol levels, regulating insulin and blood glucose concentrations, and promoting gastrointestinal health.
- Researchers have associated the dietary fiber found in poppy foods with reducing the risk of diverticular disease and preventing constipation.
- The trace mineral manganese present in poppy seeds is beneficial for fighting against osteoporosis, arthritis and diabetes, amongst several other medical conditions.
- Calcium, found in poppy seeds, has several health benefits, the most important being the development of strong bones and teeth.
- The benefits of poppy seeds also include enhancement of enzymes, such as diastase, lipase, and nuclease, in the body.
- Poppy seeds are effective in treating inflammation, fever, dysentery, irritation, whooping cough, earache, toothache, diarrhea, asthma, joint pains, dark circles, vomiting and nausea.
Poppy seeds, contain good amounts of minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium and iron. These black seeds are rich in dietary fibre and essential fatty acids, which play a key role in maintaining overall health. Commonly used to add flavour to cereal or for healthy salad dressing, poppy seeds are known to provide myriad health benefits. Here are some of them.
Prevent mouth ulcers
In Ayurveda it is believed that mouth ulcers can be caused due to too much heat in the body. But consuming poppy seeds, which are known to have cooling effect on the body, helps in relieving mouth ulcers naturally. Mix some sugar to crushed khus khus seeds and consume this mixture for instant relief from ulcers.
Poppy seeds contain a lot of dietary fibre that not only add bulk to your food, but also helps in ease constipation. In addition to preventing constipation, these seeds also help you feel full for a longer time. To use poppy seeds as a remedy, have some crushed poppy seeds just before your meals or add it to your dish.
In case you suffer from insomnia or fatigue, the milk extract of poppy seeds mixed with sugar is a great way to combat sleep problems. Poppy seeds are packed with a number of compounds that help in the production of neurotransmitters, thereby helping your brain function optimally.
Improve heart health
Poppy seeds are good source of essential fatty acids like linoliec acids that lower blood cholesterol levels in the body. Add few poppy seeds to your food to improve your heart health and also prevent various complications like heart disease and heart attacks.
Prevent bone damage
Calcium, along with phosphorus, plays a significant role in improving your bone health. Poppy seeds also contain manganese which is known to help in collagen (protein that protects the bones from damaging) production. Apply a paste made from khus khus seeds to get quick relief from joint pain and swelling.
Combat skin infections
Poppy seeds are known to be an effective natural remedy for skin infections like dry itch and skin rashes. These seeds contain anti-inflammatory compounds that play a key role in combating skin infections. If you suffer from any of these conditions, you can use this remedy. Make a thick paste of poppy seeds by adding few drops of fresh lime juice. Rub this paste over the affected area to get rid of skin infections like burning sensation or itching of the skin.
Enhance brain function
Calcium, iron and copper are three minerals which are found in poppy seeds. These minerals help in the regulation of neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) and improve brain function and the normal growth and development of neurons (nerve cells of the brain).
A common cause of impaired immune system is deficiency of zinc in the body. Consuming poppy seeds, which are rich in zinc, helps in strengthening the immune system. These seeds also enhance production of immune cells which in turn boost your immunity.