Kefir was originated in the Caucasus region. The word, 'kefir', however, came from two Persian words, 'kef', which meas foam, and 'shir', which means milk. Kefir grains are used in the preparation of this fermented milk drink which contains a mixture of bacteria or microorganisms and yeasts, and polysaccharides, proteins and lipids. These grains closely resemble the shape of cauliflower, and are considered as an excellent source of beneficial bacteria or probiotics.
Kefir Health BenefitsKefir health benefits can be mainly attributed to the large number of beneficial microorganisms found in kefir grains. These beneficial microorganisms can play a vital role in improving general health and well being by promoting digestive health. Kefir can also provide some important vitamins and amino acids. A few of the most important health benefits of kefir are:
1) Kefir has antibiotic and antifungal properties. It can prove helpful in conditions like, candidiasis (yeast infection), heart disease and HIV/ AIDS.
2.Kefir has the beneficial microorganisms that can improve digestion, to alleviate some common digestive problems like gas, bloating, indigestion, etc. It ensures regular bowel movement to cure constipation. The enzymes found in it is especially beneficial for the people with lactose intolerance.
3. Kefir provides many essential vitamins and minerals. It is a rich source of vitamin A, B2, B12, K and D. The most important minerals found in kefir are, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.
4) Kefir can cleanse the colon and address any kind of intestinal problem. It can provide relief in inflammatory bowel disease as well.
5) Kefir can treat gastritis, pancreatitis, eczema, stomach ulcers, rheumatism, arthritis and gout, osteoporosis, anemia and leaky gut syndrome.
6) Kefir has effect on the immune system and can improve its disease fighting capacity.
7) Kefir can reduce the certain cancers including, colon cancer.
8) Kefir can also calm and maintain a healthy nervous system. This property of kefir is the presence of the amino acid, tryptophan'.
8) Kefir has antioxidants and anti-aging properties and can neutralize the free radicals, that damage the body cells and tissues by oxidizing them. So kefir can slow down the aging process.
9) kefir can include cure or control acne, sleep disorders, depression, asthma, bronchitis, hypertension, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, allergies, colitis, diarrhea, etc. Kefir is quite easily digestible, and can be taken by children as well. It is a complete source of protein, with so many essential amino acids. Kefir is a great food that can detoxify the body, and improve the functions of the different body systems to promote health and vigor. It can also help in losing weight. Considering all the kefir health benefits is an excellent idea to live a healthy life. Kefir can bring your digestive system back to good health, making strengthening your immune system and boosting your resistance to allergens.
Kefir grains are small, soft, cauliflower-looking living organisms. Kefir grains digest bad bacteria and leave in their place good bacteria. After sitting in milk for 24 hours, kefir grains are strained out and used again.
Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria as Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus. It also contains beneficial yeasts, which help balance the intestinal flora and destroy pathogens even E-coli and parasites. These probiotic organisms help to clean out the intestine. These weakened areas are sometimes called "leaky gut." If you have leaky gut syndrome, partially digested food, toxins, and bacteria are able to escape into the blood system causing a reaction an allergic reaction. Probiotics or friendly bacteria can heal leaky gut syndrome. The friendly yeasts help with the destruction of harmful yeasts which contribute to leaky gut syndromes. Kefir helps colonize the intestinal tract, so it lives there and continues to create healthy bacteria, continually improving the digestive tract.